Every Ph.D. student must select one Area of Specialization (AoS) in consultation with GEC/Supervisor. A Ph.D. student must take four courses from AoS as major subjects including Independent Study. There are two Compulsory courses for Ph.D. students namely Research Methodology and Simulation & Modeling. A program structure of Ph.D. Electrical Engineering is given as:
|Course Description||No. of Courses||CH|
|Area of Specialization (AoS)||4||12|
|Total Coursework Credit Hours||48|
TITLE OF THE PROGRAM TO BE APPEAR ON DEGREE
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Electrical Engineering
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR ADMISSION IN PHD ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
- 18 Years of education with relevant specialization, Minimum CGPA 3.00/4.00 or First Division (in the Annual System) in M.Phil/M.S/Equivalent is required, Passed NTS/HEC GAT (Subject) or the University admission test.
- In the case of GAT Subject test with minimum of 60% marks is required to take admission. Presently following subjects are available for GAT subject test and are eligible to apply for D. in Electrical Engineering:
- Computer Engineering
- Telecom Engineering
- Electronic/Electrical Engineering
Students admitted in Ph.D. Programs have to submit the requisite GAT Subject or GRE Subject at the time of admission preferably or before the end of first semester of the respective program.
DURATION OF PH.D. ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING AND SEMESTER-WISE BREAK-UP
Typical / Average duration for PhD program is 04 years and maximum duration is 8 years. A generalize semester-wise break-up is as follows:
|Course ID||Course Title||Cr. Hrs.||Course ID||Course Title||Cr. Hrs.|
|ABC-xxx||AoS – I||3||ABC-xxx||AoS – III||3|
|ABC-xxx||AoS – II||3||ABC-xxx||AoS – IV||3|
|ABC-xxx||Research Methodology||3||ABC-xxx||Simulation & Modeling||3|
|Semester CH||9||Semester CH||9|
|Comprehensive Exam||Thesis/Dissertation (Proposal Defense)|
|Thesis/Dissertation (Progress Report-I)||Thesis/Dissertation (Progress Report-II)|
|Thesis/Dissertation (Progress Report-III)||Thesis/Dissertation (Defense)|
PHD COURSE WORK
Course work of 18 credit hours preferably in the first year is required to be completed scoring minimum 3.0 CGPA out 4.0 and followed by a comprehensive examination for granting candidacy as PhD researcher.
- After successful completion of PhD coursework, a PhD student will undergo qualifying/comprehensive examination from the entire coursework of PhD.
- The qualifying examination will be held twice a year.
- A student will take qualifying exam as soon as possible after completion of coursework but in no case beyond 06 months.
- The examination will be conducted in two parts:
Part A – Written Comprehensive Examination
- Chairperson of the department in consultation with Subject teachers will finalize the question papers for written comprehensive examination.
- The examination will cover entire PhD coursework of the student.
- Duration of the exam will be 03 hours with 60% as minimum passing marks.
Part B – Oral Examination
- Oral examination will be held within 03 months after a student qualifies Part ‘A’ of the exam.
- Chairperson of the department will chair the committee for oral comprehensive exam which would include the GEC.
- GEC members will be the voting members.
- If number of votes for “Pass” equals the number of votes for “Fail”, then verdict of the supervisor would be taken as final decision.
- A PhD student must pass Part B by majority vote.
- Maximum two attempts are allowed to appear in Part ‘A’ and ‘B’ of comprehensive exam. The student will appear in failed part within time period specified by the supervisor.
GUIDANCE AND EXAMINATION COMMITTEE (GEC)
For every PhD scholar, a Guidance and Examination Committee shall be formed in consultation with the supervisor preferably after admission. FEST RC will approve the composition. GEC will consist of:
- Co-Supervisor (if appointed)
- GEC Member 1
- GEC Member 2
- GEC Member 3 (External)
APPROVAL OF PHD DISSERTATION SYNOPSIS
After passing PhD Qualifying Examination Part A and B, a student must carry out literature survey and prepare a written synopsis of his/her intended topic of research and present the same along with research plan in PhD research proposal defense exam for evaluation by GEC. After evaluation of the synopsis, the case will be forwarded to BASR for approval. The case for any change in research topic or any change in GEC will also be forwarded to BASR for approval.
Qualification and advancement to PhD candidacy is subject to:
- Passing PhD coursework with required CGPA
- Passing PhD qualifying examination
- Formulation of Guidance & Examination Committee (GEC)
- Writing and successfully defending the research proposal
In addition to coursework, all PhD scholars must register in doctoral research of 30 Cr Hrs and submit progress reports approved by the supervisor.
POLICY FOR PUBLICATIONS AND THESIS EVALUATION
- A student must have a minimum of 02 research papers published/accepted for publication, preferably presented in HEC approved journals/international conferences of good repute, out of which at least one research paper must be published in an ISI indexed journal (with impact factor) in the relevant area as specified by DRC.
- Only those publications related to the research work will be counted in which the student name appears as 1st author and supervisor or co-supervisor as 2nd or 3rd author and clearly mentions student affiliation with Ziauddin University, Faculty of Engineering Sciences and Technology.
- DRC is the final authority on determining whether the research publication meets the prescribed standards and requirements.
It is a mandatory part of dissertation evaluation process. The supervisor will make sure that prior to submission, research work passes through anti-plagiarism software before it is sent for evaluation.
DISSERTATION EVALUATION REPORT
- Positive report by GEC and two foreign experts (in relevant area) from technologically/academically advanced foreign countries is essential.
- The foreign experts must be from HEC approved countries.
- BASR will appoint local expert (for viva) and external experts from foreign countries.
An open defense of dissertation is an essential part of the Ph.D. program after positive evaluation. The student must successfully defend his/her dissertation followed by viva voice examination to be conducted by local external expert appointed by BASR.
Within 15 days of the successful defense, six bound copies of the dissertation are to be submitted. To incorporate any additional requirement of the defense committee, request may be made to Director to relax this period of submission.
Correspondence for Thesis Review
- The official emails may be used to the send the thesis for review but personal email address shouldn’t be used. All the correspondence should be done on official email addresses.
PH.D. ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING DEGREE REQUIREMENT
- 18 Cr. Hr. Coursework with CGPA 3.0 or above
- 30 Cr. Hr. Thesis with 2 Research Publication in HEC Approved Journal List.
|MS (Non Thesis)||MS (with Thesis)||Ph.D|
|Security Deposit (Refundable)||5,000||5,000||5,000|
|Dissertion/ Thesis Evaluation Fee||–||20,000||70,000|
|GEC Evaluation Fee||–||10,000||15000/year*|
|Viva Voce Exam Fee||–||10,000||20,000|
|Comprehensive Examination Fee||–||5,000|
|Examination fee/ semester||9,000||9,000||9,000|
|Tuition Fee (per course)||15,000||15,000||15,000|
Note: Any additional taxes imposed by the government will be the liability of the students/parents/guardian.
The University reserves the right to increase the fees if required according to the recommendation of the Governing Body.
At the time of admission, selected candidates will be required to deposit fee either under Option 1 or Option 2. Therfore monthly or semester fee will be deposited by students within two weeks of commencement of every semester in advance accoring to the official notification on the notice board. 2% surcharge per month will be levied on outstanding fees after the due date.
The students claiming exemptions from any course or courses will be required to pay exemption fee @ Rs. 2,500/- per subject in the beginning of semester.
Fees once deposited are not refundable, except security deposits, for any reason whatsoever.